Thursday, October 29, 2009

Otras cosas que he aprendido en España

I have been here for almost 2 months now and have learned some more things/have noticed some cultural differences. Here are some. Disfrútate!

- The mullet is a popular haircut here
- People dress with the season, not with the weather. For example, if it's 70 degrees in October, people wear jeans, long sleeve shirts, jackets, boots, etc. I wore shorts and got strange looks.
- People think I'm French. I have gotten "merci" more than I have gotten "gracias"
- Pico means beak, not apartment
- Spanish men are short
- Germans are tall, large, and generally good looking (must be where I get my good looks from!)
- "Hamburger" said in English by a German is the funniest thing ever!
- Swedish people speak almost perfect English
- Cava is my new favorite drink
- The TV series "Friends" is called "Colegas" in Spanish and I think it's 10 times funnier!
- It's true that Europeans don't shave.
- Finding shaving cream here was hard...and they only had 1 type to choose from.
- Nata means whipped cream...not scum
- The Marilyn Monroe peircing is very popular
- Spanish people judge you by your shoes
- Cheese flavored snacks do not exist in Spain
- My English is getting worse...You thought my spelling was bad before...Dios mio! Ahora es horrible!
- When Spanish people speak in English, they have British accents
- Gofres con chocolate (chocolate waffles) are my new favorite snack.
- They sell beer at McDonalds, but not at the Barcelona soccer games
- "¿Tienes sueño?" means "Are you tired" not "Did you have dreams?" Do not respond with "No recuerdo (I don't remember)"
- Dogs are so well trained here!! The other day, I saw a dog waiting for its owner outside a shop without a leash. The dog was like a British guard...I tried distracting it and it wouldn't even look at me.
- Nudity is normal
- Spanish children in school uniforms are adorable
- Soccer is a religion
- People smoke like it's there job
- It is legal to drink alcohol on the streets, in the metro...basically wherever you want.
- They don't refridgerate their eggs here and they don't refridgerate their milk until it is opened
- Ice cubes are rare

I think that is all for now, I'm sure I'll have more later!

Hasta luego! Besos

No comments:

Post a Comment