Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Barca, Barca, Baaaaaaaarrrrrrca!

Hola todos!

I didn't realize how long it has been since I updated last. Since my last update, I said I was going to a Barcelona football (soccer) game. Camp Nou, the stadium that Barce plays in, is the largest in Europe seating just under 100,000 people! We started off our little adventure by going to McDonalds for dinner. Yes, you heard me right. It was actually quite a crazy experience. Europeans love McDonalds! The McDonalds we went to was the most crowded McDonalds I have ever seen in my life. A worker walked through the lines with an electronic ordering pad and took your order. She then handed you a slip of paper with your order number and the cost of your order. When you got up to the counter, you hand the cashier your slip, pay him, and they had you your food! And, kids meals come with a dessert! How cool is that! haha. Also, McDonalds in Europe are decorated like actual, nice sit-down resturants. All in all, it was a memorable experience.



Despues, after having a few cervezas of course, we headed to the stadium. It was enourmous! The largest stadium I have ever seen! The game was so much fun! I love how the fans are so into the game. Everyone is cheering, singing, screaming, laughing. It atmosphere is incredible. However, they do not sell any alcohol at the games, which we found every interesting. They only sell cerveza sin alcohol (beer without alcohol). Also, Barcelona has it's own theme song, which Brittany and I tried to sing, but it didn't go over so well. We officially have the clapping and cheering down, but not the song lyrics. Some day...


Barcelona won, of course, 5 - 2 of Atletico Madrid, with Messi scoring the last goal to end the game. It was awesome to see that many goals. After the game, Brittany and I were so exhasted, we didn't even go out. Give us some credit though, the game didn't start till 10pm.


Sunday, Brittany, Stephanie, and I hiked up to Tibidabo, which is the highest point in Barcelona. At the top there is an amusement park and a church with one of the largest statues of Jesus in the world. From the top, you can see a gorgeous view of Barcelona. We didn't ride any of the rides because, well, they looked a little sketchy... I don't know, something about sitting in a rollercoaster car over the edge of the mountian doesn't strike me as fun, or safe.

Monday and Tuesday were uneventful, since we had class all day. There is nothing fun about that! haha. Today, I had class in the morning and then my afternoon class was cancelled! What a way to start off the weekend, since there is no class tomorrow because of Mercé. Mercé is a festival celebrating one of the parton saints of Barcelona.

This weekend should be very busy but fun! My parents arrived in Spain on Monday and will be in Barcelona starting Friday. I have a full itinerary planned for them (like father like daughter). Also, last night my señora decided to have them over for lunch on Saturday. She said it will be like an examén to see how good my spanish really is because, as most of you know, my parents don´t speak any spainsh. My dad thinks he can speak spanish, so this should be pretty interesting. Stay tuned to see how that goes...

Culture shocks so far:
  • Nude beaches
  • People don't say excuse me...they just push their way past you
  • The first floor of a building is level 0, the second floor is called primero, and the third floor is 1. This means the when your class is on the second floor, it is really on the 4th! Not cool.
  • Oil is put on everything
  • There are no dryers so your underware hangs outside to dry for everyone to see
  • People take their dogs EVERYWHERE
  • If your name is Brittany, they will compare you to Brittany Spears (haha right Brit?)
  • Everything closes from 3 - 5pm
  • Pig/ham is extremely popular - I think I have eaten every type of pig already

I think that is all for now! Hasta luego!

1 comment: